The Action Center on Race and the Economy (ACRE) drives campaigns that seek to win structural change by directly taking on the financial elite responsible for pillaging communities of color and working class communities and harming our environment. Through partnerships with organizations involved in local racial, economic, environmental and educational justice campaigns, we provide strategic campaign coordination and campaign infrastructure with an explicit racial justice analysis. The Communications Manager will report to the Co-Directors and will work closely with other ACRE staff and with partner organizations. The Communications Manager will:
- Develop narratives for public campaigns
- Push out ACRE campaign messaging on social media outlets
- Boost social media reach and impact; produce digital content
- Coordinate an organizational communications plan
- Coordinate press outreach for ACRE campaigns, including building relationships with national and local news reporters and editorial boards
- Collect and organize stories of national and local leaders
- Help train and lift up spokespeople for ACRE campaigns.
- Advise ACRE campaigns on messaging and narrative in public-facing materials
- Work with local partners to effectively boost their campaigns’ public reach
- Collaborate with campaign and research staff to turn research materials like reports into digestible content
- Write draft press releases, op-eds, letters to the editor and other outreach content
The ideal candidate will have:
- A strong commitment to progressive social change and racial justice, a familiarity with the issues that are central to ACRE’s work and a passion for ACRE’s vision and mission
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills
- Experience effectively pitching national and local press
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in politically sensitive and high-pressure environments
- Effective time management skills, including prioritizing and managing multiple tasks, with light supervision
- Proficiency in Google and Microsoft Office programs, as well as online social media tools
- A good sense of humor
LGBTQ, women and people of color strongly encouraged to apply. Location is flexible but Chicago, New York, or DC preferred.
HOW TO APPLY: To apply send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. PLEASE PUT COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER IN THE SUBJECT LINE.
BENEFITS: excellent benefits